Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  Seite 1 von 1 | [ 10 Beiträge ] | 
 Guess who's back, who's back, who's back in the USA.......? Moderations-Bereich
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Guess who's back, who's back, who's back in the USA.......?
BeitragVerfasst: 07.01.2005 00:53 

Guess who's back in MLS :o ?

Mathis joins ReAl Salt LAke

Star forward a welcome addition to already potent attack
By Jason Halpin / MLSnet.com Staff
One of the most talented and talked-about American strikers currently playing is returning to MLS, as Real Salt Lake announced Thursday that they used their first player allocation to acquire former Los Angeles Galaxy and MetroStars forward Clint Mathis.
By signing Mathis, RSL has formed one of the most dangerous strike forces in the league, at least on paper. Mathis, who has scored 48 goals in six previous seasons in MLS, joins the league's all-time leading scorer, Jason Kreis, on the front line in Salt Lake City. RSL also has young international forwards Erick Scott and Dipsy Selolwane at their disposal.

"Clint's ability and willingness to shoot from distance is one of the things that sets him apart," said Real Salt Lake head coach John Ellinger. "He can just take a game over and explode on opposing teams. He is an adept passer, he's menacing on free kicks and we're thrilled to have him in Salt Lake."

In the past, Mathis has shown a flair for scoring impressive and important goals. In 2001, he weaved his way through the majority of the Dallas Burn defense with a spectacular run that started in his own half and ended with him scoring the Goal of the Year. Against South Korea in the 2002 World Cup, Mathis scored the opening goal of a 1-1 draw that, combined with Korea's defeat of Portugal four days later, propelled the U.S. into the tournament's knockout stage.

Mathis returns after spending the past year with Hannover 96 of the German Bundesliga. The U.S. international, who has scored 11 goals in 44 appearances with the U.S. national team, set the Bundesliga ablaze in early 2004, scoring four times in his first five matches. But after his hot start, Mathis only scored once more for Hannover before the end of the 2003-2004 season and he scored just once in limited playing time in the first five months of the current season.

Despite his talent, Mathis has faced some criticism in the past, particularly in the final months of his time with the Metros. After scoring a goal in every game the MetroStars played in May 2003, Mathis scored in just two more games for the remainder of the season, finishing with nine goals. As the MetroStars struggled toward the end of the year, Mathis shouldered a large deal of the blame from fans and local media.

Regardless of what has been said or written about him, Mathis is excited to be returning to MLS and playing for Real Salt Lake.

"I am very excited to be here in Salt Lake, playing for John Ellinger and performing as part of a world-class team," said Mathis. "Everything I've heard about this community and their response to what Dave Checketts and Steve Pastorino are doing off the field, combined with my happiness to be playing for John, gives me a great feeling of anticipation for the MLS season. I can't wait to get out there and play."

Mathis is due to make his RSL debut on April 2 when his new club opens its inaugural season against his former club, the MetroStars.

Jason Halpin is a contributor to MLSnet.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.01.2005 02:21 
✝ Unvergessen

Did a bag of rice fell down in China or what are you talking about :?: :?: :?:

Wettberger

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.01.2005 03:31 

I wish him all the best, I liked him as a player and as a person.

I hope he won't talk bad about 96 in the future either.

Mathis goes, Donovan comes.
I think Donovan will establish himself as one of the top Bundesliga players.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.01.2005 18:29 

[quote="LüttjeLage"]I wish him all the best, I liked him as a player and as a person.

I hope he won't talk bad about 96 in the future either.

quote]

Lienen just doesnt understand Mathis - read this from Mathis new coach, Mathis has NOTHING bad to say about HANNOVER - the coach was/is a problem:

With Salt Lake, he'll be playing for John Ellinger, his coach at the 1997 World University Games. The pair became friends and have stayed in touch. ``He has his personality and he has his passion, and that's part of Clint's game, and I respect that,'' Ellinger said. ``I respect his passion for the game. Obviously, I like personalities in soccer. Clint is one of those players, part of his game when he's playing his best, he's actually uses his personality and he turns it into the talent that you see on the field.''

Betreff des Beitrags: guess who's back in the usa
BeitragVerfasst: 10.01.2005 00:23 

who's back in the usa? me!
had a great time in ireland- & amazingly the weather was better there than it has been here in formerly sunny southern california since i got back friday night.

lots of pubs, bookies, premier league football & family.. way too much holiday eating & drinking...

oh- this was about clint coming back to the usa?? well- kind of sad about that. i wish he would have stayed in germany(even if it meant going to a lesser team-) & proved himself. i still believe he has the talent to play at a high level- but now i too have to question the desire...

oh well- best of luck to you clint- but i'll not be rooting for real salt lake.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 10.01.2005 00:31 

luttje lage wrote
Zitat:
hope he won't talk bad about 96 in the future either.

did clint say anything bad about hanover? just wondering as i haven't heard him say anything at all about hanover.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 10.01.2005 15:10 

madrat hat geschrieben:
luttje lage wrote
Zitat:
hope he won't talk bad about 96 in the future either.

did clint say anything bad about hanover? just wondering as i haven't heard him say anything at all about hanover.

I repeat, Mathis has said NOTHING bad about Hannover - the coach Lienen was the problem. In fact ReAl Salt Lake has a joint venture agreement with Hannover thanks to Clint!

BTW, Clint had offers from two other Bundesliga teams and other European teams including a Spanish La Liga team/ He chose the ReAl Salt offer owing to the coach relationship. Right now he is gun-shy of coaches he doesnt know - and who can blame him!

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 10.01.2005 17:05 

Keith hat geschrieben:
Right now he is gun-shy of coaches he doesnt know - and who can blame him!

I certainly can. A true professional would have fought for his reputation. Mathis could have signed with Mainz, who play a style that would fit him better and who desperately need a leader on the field. Their coach is young, ambitious and way more relaxed than ours. It would have been a good fit and a smart move. But the money wasn't what Mathis was used to from Hannover. So he ran home. :?

Ich bin fest.
Du bist eigensinnig.
Er ist ein dickköpfiger, unbelehrbarer Hornochse.
(Bertrand Russell)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 11.01.2005 01:43 

I didn't mean to say that he talked bad about hannover.

I was actually impressed that he didn't will respect him even more if he continues to do so.

A native speaker would have expressed this difeerently I guess. ;)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 11.01.2005 02:45 

luttje lage said
Zitat:
I didn't mean to say that he talked bad about hannover.

I was actually impressed that he didn't will respect him even more if he continues to do so.

good to hear- hate high priced athletes who bad mouth former teams...

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  Seite 1 von 1 | [ 10 Beiträge ] |