Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  Seite 1 von 2 | [ 24 Beiträge ] | Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Nächste
 Hannover v Bayer Leverkusen January 21st ............ Moderations-Bereich
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Hannover v Bayer Leverkusen January 21st ............
BeitragVerfasst: 01.12.2004 14:40 

As of January 3, Donovan will turn his blue Earthquakes jersey for a red Bayer one. Leverkusen is 10th in the German Bundesliga on 19 points after defeating Hansa Rostock 2-0 on Saturday, just 10 points behind first place Bayern Munich. Donovan is likely to make his debut with the team after the German winter break on January 21 against Hannover 96 and fellow Americans Steve Cherundolo and Clint Mathis.

Clint Mathis?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 17.12.2004 19:04 

i realize game is a long way off- but i am already looking forward to january 21st game vs bayer l. anyone have thoughts about this game?

hanover 2 points in front of bayer- and only 4 points out of 4th place- possibility of a 4th place finish???

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 17.12.2004 19:59 

madrat hat geschrieben:
i realize game is a long way off- but i am already looking forward to january 21st game vs bayer l. anyone have thoughts about this game?

hanover 2 points in front of bayer- and only 4 points out of 4th place- possibility of a 4th place finish???

Dont forget Donovan will be suiting up against Liverpool in the Champions League as well..... A young Yank defender - Zak Whitbread is at Liverpool by the way.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 18.12.2004 02:38 

i doubt whitbread will be playing- - but i'd like to see that game(bayer v liverpool)... i root for hanover in bundesliga & fulham in epl- but will be interested to see donovan play in a european match... should be good... ,

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 18.12.2004 11:01 

madrat hat geschrieben:
but will be interested to see donovan play in a european match... should be good... ,

Could be good, but doesn't have to be. Many players need to adapt to the Bundesliga style when they come here. Ailton was considered a failure by many, as was Franca. They only came into their own in their second seasons. So we will need to give him some time.

Ich bin fest.
Du bist eigensinnig.
Er ist ein dickköpfiger, unbelehrbarer Hornochse.
(Bertrand Russell)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 18.12.2004 18:40 

I'll be there.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 19.12.2004 09:22 

der rote wrote
Zitat:
Could be good, but doesn't have to be. Many players need to adapt to the Bundesliga style when they come here

not saying donovan is going to step in & star... for me- watching a american player playing for a good bundesliga team- against a top english team in a european competition (assuming he plays...) would be something i'd enjoy. won't be rooting for bayer- or for liverpool- just i'd like to see the game-- probably a little difficult for a german to understand as a lot more germans have played in big euro matches than americans have.

.LüttjeLage wrote
Zitat:
I'll be there.

lucky you- assuming it will be cold, 1/21- thinking thats sunday- so sunday afternoon game- - plenty of time to tune up before the match- & celebrate after as well... not the same- but i'll enjoy it on radio/match tracker..

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 20.01.2005 03:00 

Donovan ready for first match against Hannover.

By ROY KAMMERER
Associated Press Writer
LEVERKUSEN, Germany (AP) - Landon Donovan found out quickly what priority No. 1 was when he joined German powerhouse Bayer Leverkusen two weeks ago. The two-time U.S. Player of the Year felt a little rusty after playing his last game when the San Jose Earthquakes' season ended in November and he was thrust midseason into a squad that ranks among Europe's best.
``I found out quickly that I had better get sharp fast, because they're good here, very good,'' Donovan said. ``Not just the starters, but the reserves, even those that don't make the roster, it's definitely a challenge.''

Donovan has only played exhibition matches for Leverkusen, which is in training during the Bundesliga's one-month winter break. His first real test could come Saturday, against Hannover 96, when league play resumes. Nonetheless, a consensus has formed fast over the 22-year-old midfielder on his German team, a squad that thrashed nine-time European champion Real Madrid 3-0 on the way to earning a berth in the final 16 of the prestigious Champions League.

No one at Leverkusen seems to doubt his skills; he scored in his first game and had two assists in the final exhibition as the team rolled to a 4-0 record with 17 goals in its tuneups. His likable personality and selfless play has drawn even more raves in his second stint with Leverkusen. He signed with the team as a 17-year-old in 1999, then left two years later, homesick for California and frustrated by lack of playing time.

``The major difference between Landon then and now is that he's developed into a very good player and a major personality,'' said Wolfgang Holzhaeuser, Leverkusen's business manager.

But Donovan still has to prove one crucial thing to his German team. ``His playing, not a problem. As a human being, great,'' said writer Frank Lussen of Kicker magazine. ``But they want to know if he's battle tough.''

Donovan already realizes the big test facing him is how he performs in the physical and pressure-packed Bundesliga, where the media can be brutal and angry fans will block team buses after poor performances. ``That will be the deciding factor,'' he said. ``It's great to play well in exhibition matches, but I have to prove I can play at that next level or I will be considered a player that failed.''

Donovan believes he will have no trouble this time adjusting to Leverkusen, a wet and cold factory town of 160,000 residents dominated by chemical giant Bayer AG. The first thing a visitor sees is a huge circle of the company name, towering above the factory. A gritty place, Leverkusen seems a far cry from sun-splashed Redlands, California, where Donovan grew up, or San Jose, where he has played the last three years.

Fellow U.S. player Steve Cherundolo, who has developed into a top Bundesliga player at Hannover, advises Donovan to be patient in waiting for his breakthrough in Germany. ``This place can beat you up and spit you out, but if you're good enough you will get your chance,'' Cherundolo said. ``Landon is an excellent player and I know he can play here, but it can take six months to adjust.''

Leverkusen coach Klaus Augenthaler, known for liking the ``special player,'' is thought to be enamored with Donovan's ability and personality. Nonetheless, he probably won't start the American against Hannover on Saturday. Augenthaler had planned to test Donovan from the opening whistle in a key tuneup, but the midfielder was sick with a virus.

``It's still open, but it's not likely he'll start,'' the coach said. ``I would have liked to have seen him against Sparta Prague. I can see he's a reinforcement for the team, however.''

Leverkusen called Donovan back on loan from San Jose, after signing him to a six year contract, because they want him to challenge Robson Ponte for the spot right behind the two forwards. The Brazilian has been erratic as Leverkusen has slumped to eighth in the league and it's hoped that Donovan's coolness in front of the goal will lift a side that wastes lots of chances during a match.

For Donovan, one thing has changed dramatically since his last stay in Germany. Whether it's the United States' surprise run to the quarterfinal of the 2002 World Cup where he scored two goals or the inroads players like Cherundolo have made in Europe, Donovan says American players are seen with different eyes these days.

``I get more respect now, American players get more respect - that's the big difference,'' Donovan said. Donovan is joining a team that reached the Champions League final only three years ago, a small club known for finding talent and nurturing them into stars.

But for his fans back home, who hope he will become America's first bona fide international superstar, Donovan's attitude may be disappointing. He feels he proved at the World Cup that he can play with the game's best. ``That's not a motivation. I want to feel good and play. Whether that's five minutes or 90 minutes, I want to play,'' Donovan said.

lucky you- assuming it will be cold, 1/21- thinking thats sunday- so sunday afternoon game- - plenty of time to tune up before the match- & celebrate after as well... not the same- but i'll enjoy it on radio/match tracker..[/quote]

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 20.01.2005 19:16 

read a article the other day which said donovan missed some practice due a virus- sounds like won't be 100% for this weekend- seems if he plays at all- may be a late sub. anybody have better info?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 21.01.2005 03:52 

madrat hat geschrieben:
read a article the other day which said donovan missed some practice due a virus- sounds like won't be 100% for this weekend- seems if he plays at all- may be a late sub. anybody have better info?

You would think Pro athletes would have heard of "Airborn"......

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 21.01.2005 21:05 

ok- big game only 2 days away... anybody have the expected lineups?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 22.01.2005 12:02 

madrat hat geschrieben:
ok- big game only 2 days away... anybody have the expected lineups?

Same as always for us, except that De Guzman will play right back for the injured Tarnat and Dabrowski will take De Guzmans place in defensive midfield. Also, Stajner will probably replace the injured Schröter in offense.

Ich bin fest.
Du bist eigensinnig.
(Bertrand Russell)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.01.2005 01:31 

I think you meant left back.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.01.2005 19:10 

Donovan only on the bench for Bayer - wow German football must be SO GOOD it makes your head spin.... :P :P :P

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.01.2005 20:58 

CanuckFan hat geschrieben:
I think you meant left back.

Right, left, this is all very confusing... :wink:

Ich bin fest.
Du bist eigensinnig.
(Bertrand Russell)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.01.2005 21:01 

Keith hat geschrieben:
Donovan only on the bench for Bayer - wow German football must be SO GOOD it makes your head spin.... :P :P :P

Well, even without him, Bayer was too good for us today. It's always bitter to be the better team but end up being down 0:2 to an opponent who only had two shots on our goal. And then after the third one, a lucky shot deflected by one of our defenders, the team gave up.

Oh well, these things happen. Next week will be better.

Ich bin fest.
Du bist eigensinnig.
(Bertrand Russell)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.01.2005 23:33 

der rote hat geschrieben:
Keith hat geschrieben:

Well, even without him, Bayer was too good for us today. It's always bitter to be the better team but end up being down 0:2 to an opponent who only had two shots on our goal. And then after the third one, a lucky shot deflected by one of our defenders, the team gave up.

Now I am totally confused. Lienen supposedly has built up some points in the table by stressing defence at the expense of attack (which is one reason why he could do without Mathis). Now in this game against Bayer - Hannover apparently lose by attacking and being caught on the break. Whats going on here, am I missing something? Has Lienen reverted back to the tactics of RR?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.01.2005 23:42 

Yes, Lienen has stressed the importance of a good defense but that is far from all the team did. But today, apparently, the defense wasn't on top of their game, the strikers missed some good opportunities and the opponent was pretty clever. At least from what I hear. I had to miss the game. Seeing the result and the horrible weather, though, I'm not too sad. :wink:

And you are right, a motivated Mathis in good form would have been an asset today. But let's not get into this again.

Ich bin fest.
Du bist eigensinnig.
(Bertrand Russell)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 25.01.2005 19:01 

game wasn't shown on tv here- but reading the report on 96.com- man... sounds like a rotten game... kind of funny reading the article as it sounds very negative - most team webpages here in the states wouldn't be so blunt in their comments...

anyways- time to move on- looking for better on saturday,

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 26.01.2005 01:55 

Keith hat geschrieben:
der rote hat geschrieben:
Keith hat geschrieben:

Now I am totally confused. Lienen supposedly has built up some points in the table by stressing defence at the expense of attack (which is one reason why he could do without Mathis). Now in this game against Bayer - Hannover apparently lose by attacking and being caught on the break. Whats going on here, am I missing something? Has Lienen reverted back to the tactics of RR?

Tarnat and Schröter were injured so Lienen moved DeGuzman to leftback and the horrible Dabrowski played in the defensive midfield.

DeGuzman was terrible and won't play another game as a left back.

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  Seite 1 von 2 | [ 24 Beiträge ] | Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Nächste